Sunday, May 31, 2009

#2 Library 2.0

Being a huge Dr. Seuss fan, I think about The Cat in the Hat and the two madcap creatures, Thing One and Thing Two, every time I hear about North Texas 23.
I admit I'm a little like the fish in that story trying to tell the kids "No! No! Those Things should not be in this house! Make them go!"
One of the Library 2.0 videos by Stephen Abram mentions making the Library relevant to what users want and need in daily lives. The patrons in my Library simply want to use a computer to FIND A JOB these days. All these Library 2.0 bells and whistles are fine but I wish librarians wouldn't rush toward the newest shiny thing in a futile attempt to be "cool"
We risk alienating our current Library supporters.

1 comment:

  1. We are using Web 2.0 tools to attract readers to the books we love. For example, my librarians all did podcast booktalks. Then they began showing them to their patrons. Then some of the patrons wanted to make some. Some are doing video podcasts. Look at the library page here:
    http://hhs.lisd.net/calendar_library/library/booktalks.htm

    I'll be your coach and guide through the 23 things. What "thing" do you like best so far?

    Donna

    ReplyDelete