Sunday, July 19, 2009

#12 Twitter

I first heard about twitter a couple of years ago at a TLA conference in Dallas. I remember the speaker was covering several different 2.0 areas and mentioned twitter. His take on it was that he really didn't see the use in it. The last time I heard of twitter was reading about some celeb's latest 140 character mindless missive.

Of course since that long ago TLA conference Twitter has exploded in popularity. I just don't understand why. It is the perfect example of our self-centered naval-gazing population. I don't care if someone is enjoying a ham sandwich at 3 p.m. on a Tuesday. Truly, I do not care.

However, through the trending Twitter topics I did find out that Angela's Ashes author Frank McCourt died today. So, I got some very sad news through it. I enjoyed his books very much. I read Angela's Ashes when I was sick with the flu. It helped somehow. At least I wasn't in Limerick I thought at the time.

But back to Twitter. Although I think it is mostly ridiculous, I did subscribe to the Newsweek tweets which then linked to a short piece by Ben Bradlee remembering Walter Cronkite. I did enjoy that.

No comments:

Post a Comment