Wednesday, August 12, 2009

#11 Instant Messaging

I do not do instant messaging. I do not know anyone who does instant messaging. I don't have the contact to even send anyone an instant message. I did follow the link to my browser-based yahoo messenger, logged in and then realized who would I IM? And, after reading a co-workers blog about IM I am really wary of using it due to virus concerns.

My Library does not allow any form of IM by staffers or from our public access Internet computers.

I did find the list of IM abbreviations extremely amusing and interesting.

http://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/textmessageabbreviations.asp

I think if I were instant messaging I would have to be constantly consulting a list like this just to see what they could possibly mean. Instead of saving time I would have to consult the IM to English Dictionary (kind of like a Spanish-English Dictionary) to even start to get a handle on this new language.

I despair for all those English teachers out there. Do kids even know how to spell anymore after living in the world of IM so long? How lazy can you get?

Merry Christmas is even reduced to MC. Well, it is imaginative. But disheartening at the same time. I do see these same IM abbreviations in a lot of blogs and in email so the webopedia.com site will actually help me translate these and will be of use in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment