Tuesday, August 11, 2009

#9 More Facebook

I have spent way too much time searching for names from high school etc. who I may or may not remember.

As an aside, I am surprised that so many ads appear on the side of the page. It is distracting. But I digress which is easy to do on Facebook.

I joined some groups including Save Ohio Libraries (why not? every library needs saving) It is forward thinking on the SOL part to be getting the message out through so many media outlets including the all important social networking sites. I also joined TLA and Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I became a fan of several Facebook pages. What is the difference between joining groups and becoming a fan of something on Facebook? I still don't really know.

I'm curious about the stories of HR professionals who search for applicants Facebook pages, see "incriminating photos" or tasteless posts etc. and thus doom the applicants' chances of ever getting hired. How does this happen? From my very limited understanding, the hiring professional would need to get permission (by the applicant "accepting" them as a friend) before they could even view the profile. So, how do they even see it?

Photos are so vital to Facebook and I am NOT a "take my picture" kind of person so Facebook visuals do not hold that kind of appeal for me. I generally put dots over my face in all photos (When I am not gently ripping the camera out of the hands of the photographer, of course). So, the Facebook obsession with photos just makes it that much more unappealing.

And the potential rejection factor is high. If you ask to be someone's friend and never hear back? Why would anyone find that fun?

Finally, where do the "suggestions for friends" come from? They are suggestions of people I have never heard of in my life.

I do think libraries should have a Facebook page, however. Just to be in the arena, get in the game etc. If that is where people are -- libraries should be there too.

No comments:

Post a Comment